- This event has passed.
Other Pathways: Networking with Alternative Academics
October 29, 2015 @ 4:00 am - 6:00 pmFree
Are you a graduate student who is interested in a diversity of career options? Alt-ac refers to alternative academic careers, positions within or around the academy but outside the ranks of the tenure-track teaching faculty that are filled by Ph.D.-trained professionals. At this event, you will have the opportunity to ask questions about these careers to six alt-ac professionals from across the Triangle. By networking with these professionals, who come from a broad spectrum of academic fields and who now hold a range of positions across their universities, attendees will learn about what kinds of positions fall beyond the tenure-track, how to market themselves for these positions, and the day-to-day details of what alt-ac careers are like. The event is split into two hours: During the first hour, attendees will spend about ten minutes talking with each alt-ac professional in a “speed-dating” round. During the second hour, the event will break for a light reception in which attendees can speak to alt-ac professionals one-on-one and in a more informal setting.
The event is free, but requires registration: http://tinyurl.com/pkrf7yz
The alt-ac panelists who will be in attendance are:
- Allison Portnow, Public Programs Manager, Ackland Art Museum
- Beth Shuster, Assistant Dean, Academic Advising, UNC
- Donna Bickford, Associate Director of Office of Undergraduate Research, UNC
- Gigi Taylor, ESL Specialist, Writing Center, UNC
- Alice Dawson, Senior Assistant Dean, Academic Advising Program, UNC
- Anne Mitchell Whisnant, Deputy Secretary of the Faculty, UNC
For further details or any questions, contact the organizers: Charlotte Fryar (ctfryar at live.unc.edu) or Sertanya Reddy (sertanyr at live.unc.edu)